BI Incorporated commemorates 40 years of innovation Firm pioneered offender monitoring technology in criminal justice
Contact: Monica Hook, VP of Strategic Marketing
303-218-1230 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BOULDER, COLO. — BI Incorporated, the leader for offender monitoring products and services in community corrections, is celebrating its 40th anniversary. Formed in Boulder in 1978 as a small engineering and consulting firm researching and developing radio-frequency and identification technology, BI parlayed that knowledge to now support more than 1,400 correctional agencies throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, Canada and Europe.
BI still maintains its headquarters in Boulder but also has a significant presence in Anderson, Ind., and Aurora, Ill., where the company’s monitoring operations and call centers are located. BI also operates dozens of offices nationwide that support community supervision of individuals proceeding through the immigration court process. The firm employs more than 1,000 professionals and manufactures more than 200,000 electronic monitoring units annually. Over the last 40 years, BI has helped to maintain and spur job creation in the United States by investing in employee skill development and producing products in America.
“We are immensely proud of our history in supporting community corrections agencies and their officers to help keep communities safe,” said Jock Waldo, President, BI Incorporated. “We’ve been able to maintain our leadership position over the years because we know we have to constantly be evolving to incorporate new technologies that will adapt to challenging environments.”
During the first 10 years of operation, BI coupled its technical expertise with a series of strategic acquisitions in community corrections to quickly become a leader in a new industry within criminal justice. Today BI is the largest provider of GPS, alcohol and radio-frequency monitoring technology and services in the United States. An original equipment manufacturer, BI provides a full continuum of monitoring technologies and related monitoring services for parolees, probationers, pretrial defendants and illegal aliens involved in the U.S. immigration court process. BI is part of The GEO Group’s GEO Care division, the leader in technology, programming, and innovation, offering comprehensive approaches to manage, rehabilitate, and treat adults and youth in community corrections and immigration proceedings.
BI is known within the correctional industry as the first to provide electronic monitoring. Today, the company is known for its breadth and depth of products and services, offering more than a dozen systems including:
- GPS Tracking Systems that monitor an offender’s location using a portable tracking unit that relies on available GPS data and other location positioning technologies. These devices provide accurate data about an offender’s movement in near real-time.
- Electronic Monitoring systems that monitor schedules and curfews via radio frequency and cellular technologies, respectively.
- Alcohol Monitoring systems, such as BI SL2®, a handheld device that allows individuals to submit BrAC tests from any location with cell service.
- Software Systems, such as BI TotalAccess® for supervising officers to access and update offender data through a secure website.
- Mobile Apps, such as SmartLINK™, that offer a look to the future as officers can stay connected with their supervised caseload via smartphones to maintain compliance while connecting individuals to helpful resources.
BI’s manufacturing and service operations have earned ISO 9001 and ISO 9001:2000 certifications, quality standards that exceed industry standards. To ensure that products have superior GPS technology and mapping capabilities, BI has partnered with industry leaders, including Sprint, Verizon, Google and others.
About BI Incorporated
For more information about BI, please visit www.bi.com.